Social Services and Counseling

ICA students are international students. Students often undergo cultural shocks upon their arrival in New Zealand. They face homesickness syndromes and lack in social interactions. They are on their own and face challenges, such as financial management, personal management, and time management.

ICA student support services offer important social services for its students. These services include:
• Information on local area knowledge and places of interest
• Information on laws, such as purchase of alcohol, cigarettes etc.
• Information of health issues
• Information on welfare facilities, such as accessing information on sexuality
• Harassment
• Bullying
• Financial advice
• Organising and integrating with the communities event and religious needs, such as Halal food
information for Muslim, Ramadan, Vegetarian food information, Worship Places, Eid & Dewali festivals, Chinese New Year, Matariki and various activities across Auckland, New Zealand.

In certain situations, counseling to ICA students is also available.

Various other services are available to ICA students as:

General Support Contact Details
EMERGENCY CALLS (including cell phone) = 111
Lifeline and Interchurch Counseling
95 Great South Road
Phone: 522 2999 (24 hours)
Also at 95 Great South Road: Chinese Lifeline
Phone: 522 2088
Crisis counseling of all kinds

Youth line
Phone: 0800 376 633
Crisis counseling of all kinds: anxiety, risk, personal crises, etc

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
305 Queen Street
Phone: 377 3314
Free advice about anything. Referral to other agencies which can help

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
New Lynn Library Building (Memorial
Square) New Lynn
Phone: 827 4731 or 8275095
Asian Community Help service. Also free general advice about any problem

Iranian Community Trust
4 Olympic Place New Lynn Phone: 826 3940
General advice and support

Shakti Migrant Services Trust
5a Jordan Avenue
Phone: 634 5426
General advice and support

Various religious, cultural, and community organization provide counseling to their community members through religious and community leaders. Information about various communities’ and sects’ religious centers is available through ICA student support services.